Plan for arrival

All need a valid passport before entering Thailand and for their entire stay at MSU. Everyone must be able to present a valid passport to the official when asked. Under any circumstance, MSU cannot and will not assist in any immigration and customs related issues at any airport.

All applicants must have a personal or ordinary passport when applying for a “non-immigrant ED visa” at the Thai Embassy in their home country to study at MSU.


NOTE: Special passports such as official passports and diplomatic passports will not be accepted.

Visa information

Visa Information for Student or Intern

It is of the utmost importance you have a current visa with the right classification. There is a monetary penalty of 500 baht per day for overstaying your visa and possible deportation (at your expense) if you overstay or have the incorrect visa.

Remember it is your responsibility alone to make sure your visa is current and up-to-date.

Students/interns and staff are responsible for payment of all visa fees. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) provides documentation and advice as a free service.

The OIA will not permit any staff or student to commence study or work without the correct type of visa.

To learn how to change your visa type watch our video here.

Entering Thailand on a Non Immigrant (ED) Visa

A student or intern may enter Thailand under a non-immigrant (ED) visa. These are normally issued by the Thai Consulate in your home country before you travel to Thailand. They are normally issued for a period of 90 days starting from when you arrive in Thailand.

On or before the 45 day period expires you will have to apply for a visa extension at the Maha Sarakham Immigration Office. You can apply up to 45 days before BUT NOT AFTER (no excuses for Public Holidays etc).

Visa Extension (TM7)

The OIA staff can assist you in obtaining a visa extension. Please come to the OIA office at least 45 days before the expiry date on your visa.

The OIA staff can advise you, assist and provide you with the correct documentation required for a visa extension.

Please watch our video guides on:






Covering Letter From MSU



1 passport sized photo



Student ID Card



Original Passport




Photocopy of:

Passport front Page and Visa stamped pages



Student Registration Document



Student –  available online from MSU
Course and Subject Registration Document



Student – available online from MSU
TM7 Visa Extension Form



Available at the OIA
TM8 – Single or Multiple Re-Entry Form * Extra set of photos, passport front page and visa stamped pages required



Available at the OIA

Visa Extension (TM7 cONT.)

The TM7 (temporary visa extension) form is available at the OIA, Maha Sarakham Immigration Office and online. It is advisable to fill in the TM7 form at the OIA to make sure there are no mistakes.

When presenting your documents at Maha Sarakham Immigration it is best to bring extra passport photos.

It is also advisable to get the mobile phone number of one or two of the OIA staff in case there are complications at the immigration office.

Some of the immigration office staff speak English but it is best to assume you will be dealing with a non-English speaking person.

You also need to consider if you are going to leave Thailand and return before your visa expires (form TM8 required).


You can apply for a visa extension and re-entry permits up to seven days before BUT NOT AFTER (no excuses for Public Holidays etc) your visa expiry date.

Your visa will expire when you leave Thailand unless you have a single or multiple entry permit. You must get the re-entry permit from Maha Sarakham Immigration BEFORE you leave Thailand if you intend to re-enter on the same visa.

Single and Multiple Re-Entry Permit (TM8)

If you intend to leave and then re-enter Thailand before your visa expires you need to apply for either a single or multiple entry visa at Maha Sarakham Immigration Office BEFORE YOU LEAVE Thailand.

The form required is TM8 (Application for re-entry Into the Kingdom, available at the OIA, Maha Sarakham Immigration and online.

You can apply for either a single entry (1,000 baht) or multiple entry (3,800 baht) permit.

You can apply for a re-entry permit at the same time you apply for the visa extension.

Watch our guide on applying for re-entry here.

Please visit the Office of International Affairs or email [email protected] for more information.

A request to enter Thailand must be submitted in order to obtain a Certificate of Entry at least 10 business days before the intended date of departure or when obtaining an “ED” visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate General in their home country. The application should include:

  1. A photocopy of a valid “ED” visa issued to study in Thailand
  2. A copy of AIT OQ Booking
  3. A valid health insurance policy with coverage of at least $100,000, including coverage of Covid-19. Individuals must obtain health insurance themselves. Please consult your local insurance companies or agents for a proper arrangement.

Notes: Office of International Affairs Divisions of Public Relations and International Affairs (link:  will provide assistance to legally bring all non-Thai students to MSU.

After receiving a Certificate of Entry, an applicant must present the following at the airport:

  1. A flight confirmation
  2. A Certificate of Entry into the Kingdom of Thailand
  3. A valid health insurance policy with coverage of $10,000 minimum.

Category 1: Continuing students residing on campus — will be required to undergo a health checkup at the AIT Medical Center

Category 2: New and continuing students from overseas must bring their own medical certificate.

Category 3: New and continuing students in Thailand residing off-campus must bring their own medical certificate. Their medical certificate obtained from their home countries/Thailand must include a physical examination and checkup of the pharynx/throat/heart/lungs.

Bring your original transcripts, degree certificates, and other documents with you for verification of submitted admission documents.

Please have an extra copy of the Offer Letter, Certificate of Entry, and evidence of insurance covering of Covid-19 for visa renewal purposes upon arrival.

For non-Thai students, four additional photos (size 4 x 6 cm wearing uniform with white background) must be submitted to the Government Relations Unit for the extension of your educational visa after one week upon arrival. Please write your full name, AIT School, and Nationality at the back of all photographs.

Once you submit all the required documents to the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate, they will kindly guide you on flight costs and help plan a flight itinerary to Thailand. There are many international airports available for you to fly in.

Details on getting to MSU, please visit this link.