Facts & Figures
MAHASARAKHAM FAST FACTS
• Maha Sarakham is situated in the heart of North East Thailand.
• Mahasarakham (the city) is situated in Maha Sarakham, the province (two words).
• The population of Maha Sarakham is just under 1 million people
• The area of Maha Sarakham is 5,229 square kilometres
• Mahasarakham is home to two universities and five tertiary colleges between them totalling over 63,000 students
• Mahasarakham University is the leading educational institution in the province with over 45,000 students.
• Mahasarakham is known as the City of Great Education and is also a centre of Buddhist wisdom and culture in the region
• 475 Kms from Bangkok, Thailand's capital city
MAHASARAKHAM UNIVERSITY FAST FACTS
• Abbreviation: MSU
• M: Moral S: Social Responsibility U: Unity
• Motto: “Public Devotion is a Virtue of the Learned.”
• Colours: Yellow and Grey. Connotes intellectual wisdom and good thinking leading to prosperity
• Emblem: The Rojanakorn. A stamp of brilliant prosperity
• Symbolic Tree: The Koon or Rajaphreuk. Denotes prosperity.
• Students: 43,928 in 2015.
• Graduated in 2014: 6,650 Bachelor, 739 Masters, 75 PhD’s.
• Personnel: 3,547 academic, administrative and support staff
• Campuse: 2 Campuses
• Teaching unit: 17 faculties, 2 colleges, 1 school and 1 institution
• Degree offered: 86 Bachelor's degree programs, 58 Master's degree programs and 34 Doctural degree programs
• MSU student base is drawn from all twenty north east Thailand Provinces
• Semesters (2 x16 weeks)
First Semester: 3 August - 14 December
Second Semester: 4 January - 9 May
Summer Session: 23 May - 25 July
In 2011, 321 students from more than 16 countries around the world have chosen to study at MSU either a full degree seeking students or exchange students.
In fiscal year 2015, MSU has 3,547 academic staff and supporting staff